Big week for TS3 story tellers!

Lots of exciting news this week.

Over here, Goggalor reported his findings on the fog emitter from Ambitions. We have weather! And lots of other cool things.



There are some issues when it comes to placement though. Sometimes it's high up and far away from the lot. I haven't quite mastered it yet, so I still have to fiddle around with it to get it to work.



It seems that the fog emitter can pretty much produce any effect in the game, which is pretty handy story telling-wise. This will require lots of play testing I think as some effects loop, some only happen once, and some won't happen at all.



And I just found out while I was updating my hacks that Jonha has some more height sliders in testing. These finally make a sim shorter. The issue before was that sims would get this weird bendy knee thing going, so Delphy could only release the taller slider.

Jonha's way around this is to have separate sliders. So instead of one height slider, you make sims shorter by shortening their legs, their arms, and their torso.


In this picture, Paula and Brandon are the normal heights for sims their age. (For anyone who doesn't know them, Paula's the black haired teen girl, and Brandon's the black haired man.)

The girl in red has been shortened just a bit. And waaay in the back, Henri, the oldest male, has been lengthened to the tallest height using Delphy's slider. I might be able to use Delhpy's slider in combination with Jonha's to actually make him taller if I want.


Aaaand lastly, Buzzler at MTS released a vanishing objects script. At my request, he added classes for some items that are handy for us story tellers, and I them made clones of the necessary objects and enabled them to take advantage of the vanishing script. They're in the comments, post #23.


Real Image:



Invisible couch:





Invisible lounge and invisible chair:






My game was working at driving me nuts tonight for the first time, so I couldn't really test out the bed like I had wanted to. I know the bed's too high for the sofas, but I'll find something it matches up with or I'll just fake it.

10 comments:

Carla said...

I was just reading about the weather at N99 and thought about how useful it potentially is for storytellers.

Some of the people trying it out mentioned that the effects don't seem to "loop" but others reported the opposite. Have you noticed anything like that?

The Lunar Fox said...

It depends on the effects. Things like rain and snow looped. When I left the lot after taking the rain pics, I saved and came back, and it was still raining.

I imagine that things like aging up effects or food steam would only last once the way they do in game. Things like waterfalls, rain, snow would loop.

K. Hoisington said...

Holy guacamole! The vanishing objects are awesome! I so need to go snag those now!

I didn't even know there are height sliders, even if they are in testing. It'd be nice to finally have short stacks and giants again. I loved the stretchskeleton cheat from TS2.

I'm glad to finally see stuff coming out that we storytellers can use. I hope the ChaosPainting is updated soon because I use that for everything, and it's the closest thing to a pose box that we have. :)

The Lunar Fox said...

Oh man, I miss that painting! I don't use it tons, but I do use it, and so I miss it.

Have you seen ChaosMageX's other downloads? He's got a hack for phones and another hack for carrying stuff. So if someone were to make props, and give them the ability to be carried, we can have proper props. I might look into that, if possible. Maybe that'll be a project for another time.

Jen said...

Wow, I'd read about the fog emitter on various threads but hadn't seen any pics of rain! That looks awesome! And yeah, how incredibly useful for storytellers. You do such clever stuff with poses and furniture, very cool!

Nicole said...

I knew about some of this stuff, but I didn't know about everything. :O Thanks a lot for compiling things here.

K. Hoisington said...

Hey! I saw over at Poida's blog that the Chaos Painting has been updated! Swweeeeet!

The Lunar Fox said...

Thanks, Jen. I have a lot of fun playing around with the posing. It's just so easy. Very much like playing with dolls, lol.


Nicole, you're welcome. If I can share any tricks, I'm happy to do so. Mostly because I know there are others who'll probably be able to use it better than I can!


Oh, sweet! Though, I just noticed that Poida's blog is gone now. :( I actually looked up
Poida" and "Sims 3," and it seems he's taking a personal break. I was worried there.

J A Murphy said...

Thanks for pointing me here, even better tips!! *quickly bookmarks everything* ... this could be FUN

The Lunar Fox said...

Yay! I hope to hear about your experiments too. You might also want to check out Valley Sun Sims. Awesome people, and a good place to share ideas.

Post a Comment