Sneak Peek or What I did Last Night

I had time to kill and didn't want to do anything else with Create a World last night.

So what did I do? I made another Lost Lander (from the Lost Territory).

His face is not important. It's not really anything impressive. No, the impressive part on this sim are his tattoos.


That chest tattoo actually started out as a colored tiger (from here). Well that looked unrealistic to me, especially considering the world Ruin. There aren't exactly modern tattoo parlors we're dealing with here. In his case, I imagine each tattoo means something and was done by a friend (by that I mean close tribe member). Having so many means he lived a "long" time for a Lost Lander and earned a lot of honor, so he's probably 19 or 20. It's a tough life out there in the Lost Territory.


The back of the tattoo. All I did was take a lot of images from other tattoos and put them all together on this one as a stencil.

I've learned how to use s3oc, s3pe, and the CTU tool. Because this isn't the first time I had to recolor something. The first time was for Killer, though it was not his tattoos. See if you can spot it.



And before I forget! One issue that has cropped up is the whole no custom skins thing.

Alright, so normally my sims have painted on abs like Killer up there that I think are a nice medium between the flat belly that sims have and the hint that they might have muscle.

I use Asian skins by 234jiao, the originals. I think it softens up the sims face very nicely, and the body looks natural for the most part.

But I wanted this Lost Lander to look a little harder. He's been fighting his entire life, and actually Killer should look this way too, but I didn't figure this trick out in time for that photoshoot.

Gratuitous shot for no obvious reason. (Other than it's gratuitous!)

So here's the trick: TS3 saves stuff in your cache files and really holds onto that information. So if you put new skins in and don't delete the cache, you won't see the new skins unless you send them to the dresser.

Now I deleted the cache files, but they still had on the old skin. (I should have taken a pic of Henri next to this guy so you could see it.)

So I sent this guy to plan an outfit. The new skin appeared and so I mucked around with his outfits.

When we finished planning his clothes, he still had the old skin. So I had him change outfits, and then he had the new skin!


I think it gets tricky after that. Basically, the game will remember that he is wearing a new skin so long as I don't change his clothes in the dresser. I don't know if the game will remember if I click on him and have him change his clothes, so that's something to test.

This isn't a trick I would use often. Just in this character's case, his body is supposed to be hard and should bear scars, but I wasn't about to tackle scars last night after cleaning up that damn tiger.

4 comments:

Carla said...

Oooh, I like him! I like the black tatts he's got better than the coloured ones. I'm not a big tattoo fan in RL but I almost always prefer the all black ones.

That's a pretty clever workaround for the problem of being without custom skins, apart from defaults. I can see why it wouldn't be something you'd want to do all the time though! TS3 has certainly made some things needlessly difficult, I think.

In your gratuitous shot, am I imagining that little shadow under his thigh or has the TS3 crowd come up with an equivalent of the Crammyboy hack? And has he got body hair too? Is that part of his skin or an accessory?

The Lunar Fox said...

Thanks. He actually came out pretty well. Another old character revamped.

TS3 has made some things needlessly difficult, but in a way it's okay because it also means a little more freedom in some ways. A lot of the things I do with TS3 I wouldn't even be able to dream of doing with TS2. (OMG, it's totally like Windows vs. Mac. I always loved the freedom of Windows when you knew what you were doing and hated the restriction of Macs.)

LOL! Nope, there is indeed the equivalent of the crammyboy hack. Usually helpful to know what not to shoot. Oops!

And the body hair is part of his skin. (Though you CAN get an accessory. The problem is that for body stuff, they usually use the gloves, and story wise, the tats are more important than having my manly men be hairy.) I'm thinking I might add some body hair to my default skins now that I'm getting fancy. I dunno. That's kinda like work or something.

Anonymous said...

Are you deleting the simcompositercache file from your My Documents/Electronic Arts/ The Sims 3?

I delete that everytime I install a new skin. It seems to work.

He looks really nice and I love his tattoos. I like the fact that the tats mean something special to each person wearing it.

I love hearing about your world. I really wish I could do a story with one of my created worlds but it's way too hard and overwhelming in terms of using TS3 to execute. (The story is completely fantasy based.)

The Lunar Fox said...

I deleted all four cache files just to be sure, so I couldn't believe it didn't work. Generally it does (though I have had this issue before where I had to send them to the dresser to see the new clothes now that I think about it). But in the end, it worked out well in this case.

Thanks, Carnaxa. I can't wait for him to show up in the story. I'm pretty sure he's a necessary element now.

Aww... yeah, TS3 isn't great for anything too fantasy based right now. And I guess using TS2 for stories after using TS3 for stories just is too fickle and difficult. If you can even go back. (Which I can, but only to play and not to tell stories now!)

Post a Comment