World Builder

I have been playing with this thing all day. I seem to be able to figure things out when I have a certain idea in mind because I won't rest until I do!

So World Builder is awesome. Seriously awesome. Difficult and frustrating, but still really awesome.

Amazing benefits: Being able to upload your own textures. Being able to use more than one type of road in one neighborhood. Being able to upload custom road and sidewalk textures. I can see those coming in handy!

Takes a while to get used to the controls though.


Getting used to scale is difficult. What I did was plopped down a large lot so I would know how big is BIG.

On the plus side, you can put up a grid and tell things to snap to grid. Makes placing intersections and roads SO much easier!

But I can see having to spend a lot of time working on one neighborhood to get it right. I've come a long way during the day, but I haven't painted the grounds yet, and the paints I have are kinda limited. (Just shale, grass, and two kinds of sand apparently. There's probably more that came packaged with World Builder, like the extra roads.)


Overall- two little tips to make it easier that I've learned from my play:

Remember the magic of the right click, and don't forget you have layers off on the side. A lot of options can be found by right clicking on the layers (like adding and editing a description by right clicking on the first layer.)

When working with World Builder, You'll want to see the neighborhood in game. It takes forever to load UNLESS you just remove all your Custom Content.


I do have some Sim3Packs missing, but I hear there is a work around, which I'm trying. I haven't actually tried playing the game though to see if it works because I'm been trying to build all day!



Also, had a little too much fun dressing up and taking pictures of Mr. Brown Suit sim the other night while taking pics for the next two updates. He really came out well, and I cannot claim the credit. His father was a little too pretty, and his mother was a sim I created. I think I only had to touch up his eyes because they were too large and innocent for the character.



6 comments:

Laura said...

Yum, Mr. Brown Suit! Merry Christmas to me, lol! :)

I'm excited to see what you all do with the world builder tool. Sims 3 is looking mighty tempting. Now I just need chemistry and weather, and I'll be on board :)

Carla said...

Well, hello there, Mr Brown Suit! He really is a fantastic looking Sim. ;)

World Builder sounds like it's the kind of thing to give me a headache. But I am torn, because it does sound amazing too. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

The Lunar Fox said...

Exactly. Merry Christmas to all! XD

OMG, Chemistry and weather. I miss weather so much. No amount of terrain paint can make up for lack of rain and snow. But I wonder if it's possible.


World builder is an interesting challenge. If you're good at image programs like Photoshop or GIMP, you can probably handle this program. It's actually a little easier than SC4 I think for sculpting and all that. But painting the terrain is going to be my challenge I think.

Anonymous said...

I love looking at your sims. You create such unique looking ones. I keep meaning to ask if you use a skin default. I can't remember if you've already told me.

And can I just say, I love the way TS3 made the glasses - they have that nice realistic reflective surface to them now.

The Lunar Fox said...

In all fairness, Mr. Brown Suit here was an accident which I can't help staring at too. Gah, it's frightening how well he came out. (Both handsome and fitting for the character.)

For my skins, I use 234jiao's "Asian Skins." I'd put up a link, but for some reason, I cannot paste it into this comment box! It's over at MTS. I can PM you a link if you can't find it. I just love the faces for it. And the bodies, well, okay so the males all have drawn on abs, but I think they're well done for the most part.


And I agree with you, I love the way glasses reflect light! It's so awesome.

Anonymous said...

Ah, you know they were the very first skins I ever used. I made this gorgeous looking sim with them that I lost during one of my many installs.

Not to worry, I can go find it over at MTS. I am thinking of using something different.

Post a Comment