World Builder For Everyone

Ok, so I want to start a very simple tutorial for the rest of us. I am close to building my first world which is ity bity. So I can't claim I'm an expert. But if I can do it, everyone else can do it too, just takes some patience and some clear directions!

What I want to do is to start posting up chapters, each one a mini-lesson.

They should go in this order (which is subject to change as I'm working off the top of my head right now since I'm away from my simming computer):

1. Basics of the program
2. Terrain Sculpting and Painting
3. Placing Roads and Lots
4. Placing everything else (also known as decorating)
5. Exporting your Neighborhood for use in game


That's it so far. Each lesson hopefully won't be too long. There are a lot of shiny buttons, but what I would like is for anyone reading this to come away with a basic knowledge of the program so you can start the exploration of creating your own world.


Before the lessons begin:

CAW Walkthrough by Rain. The first section is particularly important. Before you create your world, have an idea of what you want. I would suggest to start small. By the end of this tutorial, have plans to have a small and functioning city.

First tip: Remember that with TS3, nothing is truly required. In my story hoods, I did away with the schools, city hall, restaurants, theaters, pretty much everything that might distract them, and my sims have suffered no ill affects. So be free to experiment.

In my little "village" I wanted it to have a small city feel to it, so a cluster of commercial buildings, a few parks maybe, a school, a city hall, and a meeting place. There would be apartment buildings, and a few houses on the outskirts, and some other surprises.


Make plans, do some sketches, get ideas. But I would say don't have too clear an idea of what you want, just a general idea so that you'll feel free to experiment without frustration.

3 comments:

Carla said...

Great idea, Lunar...I'll be looking forward to the rest of your tutorial because I'm kind of lost with World Builder. LOL.

I opened up WB for the first time last night and I would agree that you'd definitely need *some* sort of idea of what you want before you start. I found it a pretty overwhelming program and it'd be one I'd want to play with a lot before trying to do anything for real.

The Lunar Fox said...

Don't feel bad; there are a lot of people echoing your sentiments!

Yeah, before I started, I actually sat down and made a sketch of what I wanted. My world vaguely looks like my sketch, but still it was a starting point and it did help.

lol, I sat down and played with it for probably 24 hours in two days. XD Oh my butt is still sore!

Anonymous said...

You're a champion for doing something like this and it's very much appreciated.

I still am too overwhelmed with CAW to really do anything with it right now. I've had to uninstall it recently - I am having very strange lag and crash issues with my game even with no CC installed. Too tired to deal with TS3 anytime soon.

Post a Comment