Setting up!

Wow, thank you Laura for this link to Speechless' blog. I never would've figured this out before hand.

So, I think this will actually be much easier. If each day is one month, so that twelve months is one year, that means I can properly set up sim birthdays and pop in to see them on their months. So that's what I'm working on right now.

For the keeping track of days, so far I average about one sim day per play session so far. But I've mostly been editing relationships and the town.

I have noticed though that you can hover over the time and see how many days into what week you are like so:



So far so good. *knocks on wood*

Everyone is linked up now-- as in all the family members. 'Cause you know, I've got Brandon, Henri, Jimmy, and all the rest. That includes their mother and Killer too.

So here's the rudimentary calendar. I've picked a random number for the year going based off the story in my head. (Basically, about 5,000 years ago the world ended. So the stories say. ;) )

To keep track of the current "month" I figure I can move the *current* around each day or so. If that doesn't work, I generally keep a lot of stuff in my head, which is pretty dangerous. And I can always check the world date just to verify. I'm sure I'll mess up at some point and miss someone's birthday.



Taking a cue from Carla, I've used a similar, but simple organization system. Each family gets a note, and under each note, I write down information. So far I have their ages and birthdays, their traits, and their lifetime wants. For houses that I play, I also take notes on impressions of them and any other detail that I might find important.



Whatever pops into my head. (Though I will say, Michael really is the town thug. He was selected through story progression for that role, and he managed to shake down nearly one grand from one character already, lol!) I do that a lot when I'm working on the story anyway.


And looking at the pictures, I think I might have messed up and lost a day. When I was on the desktop, the poor thing crashed more than once, so I lost at least a day. That means I'll probably have to redo all of these, but I've got the important info down.

For a short while, I was worried I'd done something wrong with my world, but no, seems my computer just really couldn't handle it. Probably just too many trees for it to render. Works perfect now that I'm back on the laptop though.

Still working on things, perfecting things. I've made a list of hacks. This'll help when another patch comes out and it's time to update.

3 comments:

T.Irwin said...

I'm loving these testing updates. Keep them coming.

Carla said...

Oh, FUN! You know what a geek I am about this sort of thing, so I loved this.

But I feel very dumb today!

1) I never noticed that Week/Day indicator in TS3. Duh.
2) I had no idea you change the background colour in Flashnote.

But gosh, I love Flashnote and now I love it even more.

I love that Story Progression chose Michael for the town thug!

The Lunar Fox said...

Thanks, T! lol, I most definitely will as I work on it. I think I've gotten the town pretty much set up!


Carla, awww. Yeah, I saw you were having a day on twitter.

The ability to change the font and background color on Flashnote really sealed the deal. I used to write my story on Microsoft Works on Windows 3.1, and back then you could change the color of the fonts and background. I used to use purple on black, sometimes green on black. So it's a nice little throwback. Makes me wanna play one of those old Qbasic games, like the one with the monkeys throwing bananas or Nibbles, lol.

And yeah, cracks me up that he's the town thug!

Post a Comment