Not cool man!

Ok, so I decided tonight to give rotation style play a chance.

I just had a back and forth recently about an issue someone was having with sims she left alone who lost EVERYTHING in their inventory. All the food she'd grown-- some of which had been stashed in the fridge, and the rewards she'd earned which were in the sim's inventory were just gone.

So I decided to test this out. I made an extra save file and went to town.

In one sim night, I touched on four houses and went back to Amberle. Amberle had nothing in her inventory. Nothing.

The only option is to create save files if you want things to be saved exactly as you left them and with everything in their inventory. The problem is that each save file is essentially another 'hood. So if in one save file Angie has twins while I'm playing another house, and then I move to the save file where Angie is the active house hold-- she will not have twins. She'll be exactly as I left her.



This is another strike against the game for me to be honest. I get bored playing the same family over and over, but if I switch families, then ones where I worked all hard to get them special things in their inventories (like fruits or seeds) they'll all be gone.

What's weird, is that Amberle has been working on upgrading her tub. It's about 80% complete. When I went back it was still at 80%. So if the game could remember that, why can't it remember what she had in her inventory?

In Sims 2, NPCs would come with stuff in their inventories. Why couldn't they keep that feature? I really can't get that.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's interesting about the way it works when you save files. Basically any save file is a different neighborhood. I agree, why couldn't they update and save everyone's inventories? Maybe its one of those areas in the Sims 2 they never worked out all the bugs from (like memories) or maybe it takes too much memory?

The Lunar Fox said...

Hello! Nice to meet you. ^__^

I think you might be right on the last part. Maybe it just might take up too much memory after a while.

But I don't know... I mean the game only has to remember that the sim has these things in inventory. It never has to call on that information until you play that household and open their inventory. It would be like how cookies on my computer make it remember my passwords when I visit sites and stuff. At least, that's how I see it with my unknowledge.

But maybe they did have issues with it.

Anonymous said...

Nice to meet you too--I've seen your name (which I think is really cool, by the way) so much on the various blog comments, I didn't remember I was popping out of lurkdom from your point of view.

You are right that the inventory items wouldn't have to be accessed or affect any other interactions. I don't know why they took out that feature. It is related to OFB and household finances in Sims 2, but wouldn't be yet in Sims 3...

Carla said...

Pescado's Awesome mod is supposed to fix that. It's worked pretty well for me so far.

Honestly though, I get the impression that the empty inventories is a bug rather than the way it was designed. I can't imagine WHY it would be designed that way, though I have thought that about a few EA things that aren't bugs too. :\

The Lunar Fox said...

Thanks, Francesca. ^__^ I've seen you around a lot too, just never had a convo with you. (It's sort of hard to in other people's blogs. XD)

Yeah, I'm leaning heavily that this is a bug.

My next test will DEFINITELY have the awesome mod. This little bug is the first one to actually not make me wanna play. :( (Which is probably good for my Sims 2 sims 'cause I still have a lot I've gotta get done.)

Anonymous said...

Hey, I went into Sim PE to figure out why a sim disappeared, and anyway, I noticed that the inventory items show up as green font listings in the memory panel...so maybe they are connected in the code and that's why Sims 3 doesn't remember their inventory (no memories). Anyway, I thought of your blog when I saw that.

Post a Comment